Sunday, September 03, 2006

THOU PREPAREST A TABLE BEFORE ME

THOU PREPAREST A TABLE BEFORE ME

Today in Class, a scripture dropped spontaneously into my mind, followed immediately by two or three others. They were all “off subject”, yet very meaningful to me.

My wife, Pearl, and my son, Pete, were reciting Psalm 23 when Pearl drew her last breath in the pre-dawn hours of July 30. He does not remember where they were when she could go no further and slipped silently into the Presence of her beloved Saviour.

But the Lord chose to speak to me from the Psalm

Psa 23:5 Thou PREPAREST A TABLE BEFORE ME in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

I do not know what might have been going through the mind of the Psalmist when he penned those words, but I sure do know what came rushing to me as I pondered them today. Let me tell you about it!

Heb 13:10 We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle.

There are a few other scriptures which explain what that one is talking about.

The Priests of the Old Testament Pattern “lived by the Altar” in that certain portions of the sacrifices were theirs to take home or to eat while serving at the Altar. It was their livelihood, PROVIDED BY THE LORD.

It would be an interesting study to find out just how much the Lord had given to the Priests for their service at the Altar. The book of Leviticus should furnish much information about it. God provided very amply for those who worked at the Tabernacle.

He has also provided very amply for those of us who have put our trust in Him for the welfare of our souls, both in this present life and in the one to come.

Joh 6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live forever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
Joh 6:52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?
Joh 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Joh 6:54 WHOSO EATETH MY FLESH, AND DRINKETH MY BLOOD, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh 6:55 For MY FLESH IS MEAT INDEED, AND MY BLOOD IS DRINK INDEED.
Joh 6:56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
Joh 6:57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.
Joh 6:58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live forever.

Just before Gethsemane, Jesus identified the food on the “Table Prepared”.

Mat 26:26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
Mat 26:27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
Mat 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Paul related it like this:

1Co 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
1Co 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
1Co 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord's death till he come.

Now, I am wondering—can it be that David was prophesying about the “Table” that was provided for us when Jesus died on the Cross of Calvary?

I believe so.

No comments: