Friday, April 28, 2006

WALK HUMBLY

WALK HUMBLY

Mic 6:8 He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

To do justly:
To give to all their due.

1. To God his due. “To love him with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, and your neighbor as thyself.” This is God’s due and right from every man.
2. To your neighbor be true, never working ill to him. We should be trustworthy of our neighbor's property, money, reputation, wife or daughter.
3. To yourself be true. Do not deprive yourself of what God has provided for your soul. Keep your body in temperance, sobriety, and chastity; avoiding all excesses, both in action and passion.
To love mercy:
Not only to do what justice requires, but also what mercy, kindness, benevolence, and charity require. Be as zealous of Mercy for your brother as you would be for yourself.
But how can we do this? Certainly this is not a natural trait of humanity, and can be accomplished only as we submit to the Principles of God. It is not in mankind to conduct ourselves properly. We must have help if we are to get it done.
Walk humbly with thy God.
Without this humiliation of soul there never was, there never can be, any walking With God; for without his mercy no soul can be saved.
I sometimes shudder when I remember, from my own past life, how pride and arrogance have caused me to stumble, and even to fall flat on my face at times. I wonder, at times, how much further on the path of righteousness I might have been today if I had not had to rescue myself from mistakes caused by having rebelled against the principles of God when problems have come up in the concourse of life.
Did I get a "raw deal" at the Church I was attending, or the place where I work? Was I "double crossed" by someone in authority?
If so, it is extremely important that I walk very softly (humbly) before the Lord, for I am in extreme danger of losing sight of the main goal in life. My "pride of life" tells me that "a piece of the dog is good for the bite". Resentment yells, "Yeah, Man"! Resentment calls unmistakably, "Go for it."
It would be so self-pleasing for me to "take my little red wagon and go home". But that might also be a shortcut to the scrap heap, for such actions do not qualify as "walking humbly with the Lord". That is no more than Pride with a tinsel halo.
In times when our emotions are in conflict with the principles of Godliness, it makes a lot of difference whether we "bow" our hearts in humble obedience to the Lord, or "bow" our neck in rebellion.
We seldom recognize our emotions as rebellion toward God, mistaking them as hurt feelings, or as having been misused (abused) by some other person.
We fail to realize that our God stands guard over us, and will only allow the conditions to come our way which He knows would be for our benefit. In other words, He scrutinizes every circumstance which He allows to enter our lives. Nothing takes Him by surprise
I think of Isaac when the tribesmen fought with him over the wells he had opened. He went and opened another one, and another one, until they didn't fight any more. Was he a Wimp? No, he was walking humbly with the Lord, knowing that if God had promised, He was able to make good on the promise.
The same was true of Abraham. When God commanded him to sacrifice Isaac on the altar, he humbly obeyed, believing that God was able to raise Isaac up again.
In my "mind's eye" I can see myself telling the Lord that He must be out of his ever-lovin' mind to ask me to do such a thing to one of my boys. I can also see myself shifting into "combat mode" when possession of the first well was challenged, if I had been Isaac.
I have, through the years, seen people who have reacted the way I would have liked to react when things went wrong. They usually have gone from bad to worse, finally becoming defiant to God Himself. Wounds and resentment have caused them to become openly disobedient to the ways of God, Standing in the way of sinners.
I have watched while folks have stopped attending worship services altogether, which is in direct violation to the Word of God, after having been "wounded" in the house of worship. Pride is the root cause of such a reaction, and will, invariably, lead to more suffering. Persistence will lead to certain Spiritual disaster.
Deu 10:12 And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,
Deu 10:13 To keep the commandments of the LORD, and his statutes, which I command thee this day FOR THY GOOD?

No comments: