Tuesday, April 18, 2006

ISAIAH 49

ISAIAH 49
ISRAEL, THE SERVANT OF THE LORD

October 2005 was a turning point of sorts for me, for it brought a Revelation of several points that had been unclear to me for many years. One of the murky parts of my understanding was portions of Isaiah 49 where the Prophet seemed to be writing about ISRAEL while describing Jesus Christ. It was confusing, while still very fascinating. I had used portions of the chapter to describe the Ministry of Jesus (and “got by” with it), but I realize now that I was “off course” in my explanations of verse 3.

The Lord WAS prompting the Prophet to use the term “Israel” instead of Jesus, and the Holy Ghost DID mean Israel instead of Jesus.

I now believe the Scriptures to teach:

  • 1.--- ISRAEL WOULD HAVE FORGOTTEN THEIR IDENTITY, THEIR LAW AND THEIR GOD.
  • 2.--- GOD, FOR ABRAHAM’S SAKE, WOULD PROTECT, GUIDE AND PROSPER ISRAEL IN THE TIME OF DEPRAVITY AND WANDERING.
  • 3.--- ISRAEL (THE TEN TRIBES) WOULD BE USED OF GOD TO SPREAD THE GOSPEL AFTER A PERIOD OF SIN AND IDOLATRY. (751 YEARS)
  • 4.--- JUDAH WILL NEVER BE USEFUL TO GOD, AS A NATION.

You will remember that after the death of Solomon, the Nation of Israel was divided into two parts. The Ten Northern tribes, who retained the name of Israel, deserted one part, the Southern part consisting of Judah, with the House of David, and the tribe of Benjamin. The Southern group was called Judah.

Israel had kings who were wicked, and led the people into deep forms of idolatry. Their kings had no intention of following the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Judah, on the other hand, had mostly God-fearing kings who were of the House (Dynasty) of David.

Jesus told a story (parable) about these two kingdoms one day and likened them to two boys, sons of one father. Let’s look at that story as it was told to the leaders of the Jewish State (Judah) in the days of Jesus.

· Mat 21:28 But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first (ten-tribed Israel), and said, Son, go work today in my vineyard.
· Mat 21:29 He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went.
· Mat 21:30 And he came to the second (two-tribed Judah), and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not.
· Mat 21:31 Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots (sinners of all nations) go into the kingdom of God before you.

You will also remember that Northern Israel sinned so badly that the Lord sent them into Assyrian captivity and DIVORCED them in 721 BC. He said, “Get them out of my sight.” He would work with Southern Judah, though I am sure He already knew what would happen in another 115 years. Judah would go into Babylonian captivity for the same reason her sister had been carried away, only Judah’s sin would be the worse of the two.

The captivity of Judah would be of 70 years duration, but that of Israel would be for a much longer time—751 years. In the process of time, Assyria would cease to be a “stand alone” nation, and Israel would be free to return home, except. Except, that is, that other folks were now living in the land they had called home 115 years ago, when they were carried away.

Israel was probably not aware that in Judea there was a Prophet who was issuing a “CALL OF THE SPIRIT” to them at that slot in time. Jeremiah was “calling” in the Spirit for them to Return to God, and acknowledge their wrong. God would forgive them and heal them. They were “out of range” both physically and Spiritually, and could not hear the “Call.”

· Jer 3:8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.
· Jer 3:9 And it came to pass through the lightness of her whoredom, that she defiled the land, and committed adultery with stones and with stocks.
· Jer 3:10 And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto me with her whole heart, but feignedly, saith the LORD.
· Jer 3:11 And the LORD said unto me, The backsliding Israel hath justified herself more than treacherous Judah.
· Jer 3:12 Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger forever.
· Jer 3:13 Only acknowledge thine iniquity, that thou hast transgressed against the LORD thy God, and hast scattered thy ways to the strangers under every green tree, and ye have not obeyed my voice, saith the LORD.
· Jer 3:14 Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:
· Jer 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.

Such a Call of the Spirit could not be ignored, even if it could not be heard by the human ear or discerned by the human spirit. The Spirit of God would watch over and follow this idolatrous people for another 600 years as they wandered and migrated further North and West. They have been followed by grave markers and other telltale traces.
(Josephus tells of a “vast number” of refugees living in locations far distant from the former Assyria.) I am sure that many of you can testify of the Lord having watched over you without your knowledge while you were yet in your sinful condition.

· They had forgotten their God. Jer 3:21 A voice was heard upon the high places, weeping and supplications of the children of Israel: for they have perverted their way, and they have forgotten the LORD their God.

· They were walking in strange, unfamiliar pathways, even making new paths to use as they wandered. Jer 18:15 Because my people hath forgotten me, they have burned incense to vanity, and they have caused them to stumble in their ways from the ancient paths, to walk in paths, in a way not cast up;

Jeremiah had prophesied, in chapter 18, about the Northern nation being like soft clay on the wheel of a potter. The clay was marred, so the Potter made it into another vessel of His own choosing. He identified the Clay as being the House of Israel. Israel would be re-formed into another vessel.

Conversely, Judah, in Jeremiah 19, was likened to an earthen bottle, which would be broken to shards, and could never be made whole again. That happened in 70 AD.

Isaiah 54 tells us of Israel “hearing” the voice of the Lord in 30 AD., when the Gospel of Jesus Christ was proclaimed, both Spiritually and physically to the world. They would readily respond to the call and the offer of full pardon for their transgressions. A job was waiting to be done, and they could, and would be able, to do it.

Isa 49:1 Listen, O isles (countries of the world), unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; The LORD hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name.
Isa 49:2 And he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand hath he hid me, and made me a polished shaft; in his quiver hath he hid me;
Isa 49:3 And said unto me, Thou art my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified.
Isa 49:4 Then I said, I have labored in vain, I have spent my strength for naught, and in vain: yet surely my judgment is with the LORD, and my work with my God.
Isa 49:5 And now, saith the LORD that formed me from the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob again to him, Though Israel be not gathered, yet shall I be glorious in the eyes of the LORD, and my God shall be my strength.
Isa 49:6 And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be (alternate translation “take”) my salvation unto the end of the earth.
Isa 49:7 Thus saith the LORD, the Redeemer of Israel, and his Holy One, to him whom man despiseth, to him whom the nation abhorreth, to a servant of rulers, Kings shall see and arise, princes also shall worship, because of the LORD that is faithful (to Abraham), and the Holy One of Israel, and he shall choose thee.
Isa 49:8 Thus saith the LORD, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people (The New Covenant), to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;
Isa 49:9 That thou mayest say to the prisoners, Go forth; to them that are in darkness, Show yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures shall be in all high places.
Isa 49:10 They shall not hunger nor thirst; neither shall the heat nor sun smite them: for he that hath mercy on them shall lead them, even by the springs of water shall he guide them.
Isa 49:11 And I will make all my mountains a way, and my highways shall be exalted.
Isa 49:12 Behold, these shall come from far: and, lo, these from the north and from the west; and these from the land of Sinim.
Isa 49:13 Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the LORD hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted.

I DO NOT KNOW, exactly, where the Israel people were when the call of the Gospel came to them, but we CAN KNOW where THE GOSPEL WOULD TAKE THEM.

· Jer 3:14 Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:

The ZION mentioned here is not thAT highEST MOUNTAIN in old jerusalem.

· Heb 12:18 For ye are not come unto the mount (Sinai) that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest,
· Heb 12:19 And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard entreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more:
· Heb 12:20 (For they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart:
· Heb 12:21 And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:)
· Heb 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Zion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
· Heb 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
· Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Isa 49:14 But Zion (Mt. Zion in old Jerusalem) said, The LORD hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me. (Moses, My Servant *Ceremonial Law* is DEAD).

That Old Mountain had served its purpose. Its purpose had been to be a type of the believers in Jesus Christ who are the most successful in overcoming the inbred iniquity that each mortal brings with them into the world.

Isa 49:15 Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.
Isa 49:16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me. (The stubborn Love of God)

The next few verses tell, I believe, about a large growth in numbers because of an Evangelistic effort on the part of Israel, who had heard the Gospel, and were now spreading it with tremendous effort, and success.

Isa 49:17 Thy children shall make haste; thy destroyers and they that made thee waste shall go forth of thee.
Isa 49:18 Lift up thine eyes round about, and behold: all these gather themselves together, and come to thee. As I live, saith the LORD, thou shalt surely clothe thee with them all, as with an ornament, and bind them on thee, as a bride doeth.
Isa 49:19 For thy waste and thy desolate places, and the land of thy destruction, shall even now be too narrow by reason of the inhabitants, and they that swallowed thee up shall be far away.

We see here an enactment of an illustration that Paul gave in the letter to the Romans. He described a tree (Olive tree) that was cut off above the stump. Some of the original branches were grafted back into the stump, but many more from a wild olive tree (Gentiles and Israelites who had lost their identity) were grafted in. In the end, there was a complete, vast tree that would be called the Church of the Living God. It would consist of folks from all nations, races and colors. The stump would be the Faith of Abraham, and would furnish life to all who were grafted in to it. It is the NEW MAN. It is the NEW COVENANT. It is the NEW CREATURE.

Isa 49:20 The children which thou shalt have, after thou hast lost the other, shall say again in thine ears, The place is too strait for me: give place to me that I may dwell.
Isa 49:21 Then shalt thou say in thine heart, Who hath begotten me these, seeing I have lost my children, and am desolate, a captive, and removing to and fro? and who hath brought up these? Behold, I was left alone; these, where had they been?

· Isa 54:1 Sing, O barren, thou that didst not bear; break forth into singing, and cry aloud, thou that didst not travail with child: for more are the children of the desolate than the children of the married wife, saith the LORD.
· Isa 54:2 Enlarge the place of thy tent, and let them stretch forth the curtains of thine habitations: spare not, lengthen thy cords, and strengthen thy stakes;
· Isa 54:3 For thou shalt break forth on the right hand and on the left; and thy seed shall inherit (be given) the Gentiles, and make the desolate cities to be inhabited.

Isa 49:22 Thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I will lift up mine hand to the Gentiles, and set up my standard to the people: and they shall bring thy sons (OF THE gospel) in their arms, and thy daughters shall be carried upon their shoulders.
Isa 49:23 And kings (whole nations) shall be thy nursing fathers, and their queens thy nursing mothers: they shall bow down to thee with their face toward the earth, and lick up the dust of thy feet; and thou shalt know that I am the LORD: for they shall not be ashamed that wait for me.

It staggers the imagination, to contemplate the magnitude of that which the Lord shall do in this, our day. Daniel wrote that the “Stone” cut out of the mountain would become a GREAT MOUNTAIN, and fill the earth. He was seeing the church of the living god—the israel of god, the holy city.

Isa 49:24 Shall the prey be taken from the mighty, or the lawful captive delivered?

The folks who have been captive to their own desires and inclinations to follow the destroyer, shall they be set free to serve the Lord?

Isa 49:25 But thus saith the LORD, Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered: for I will contend with him that contendeth with thee, and I will save thy children.

Even those who have sponsored terrorism and cruelty will have to reckon with their own works, and will come to loathe them. This is not because anyone DESERVES to be set free, but because of the COVENANT OF PROMISE that God gave to Abraham about 4000 years ago. Abraham was to be heir of the World.

· Rom 4:13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

Isa 49:26 And I will feed them that oppress thee with their own flesh; and they shall be drunken with their own blood, as with sweet wine: and all flesh shall know that I the LORD am thy Savior and thy Redeemer, the mighty One of Jacob.


Rom 11:33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!

No comments: