Sunday, June 13, 2010

WHAT WE LEARNED

This is from my archives. There is one more I can post if desired. ...Marion

WHAT WE LEARNED IN LATTER RAIN

I believe you folks are sincerely interested in knowing what has paved the way for what the world is experiencing today-- a mighty movement of the Spirit of God all over the earth. Most of it can be traced back to the LATTER RAIN movement, which began in the tiny town of North Battleford, Sask. in 1948.

The Canadian brethren did not like the term LATTER RAIN, and rebuked us sharply for using it. To a great extent, they tried to dis-associate themselves from anything that was called LATTER RAIN. It was just as well that they did, for by Spring of 1951, when I attended the FEAST OF PENTECOST gathering up there, they were already showing strong signs of wanting to exercise control over what God was doing. They were beginning to teach "Apostolic Succession" and "Apostolic Authority". This was in direct contradiction to the first expression of purpose in 1948. They had vowed to NEVER try to control what God was doing.

But, when large Centers began springing up for the purpose of helping to spread the news of the Revival, it created an unbearable strain on those first brethren. Detroit had a huge Center, as did Los Angeles, Portland and Vancouver, BC. Others were to follow, but those were the main ones at first.

Christians came together under one Banner-- that of Christian Love and Fellowship. They were willing to lay aside the divisive doctrines of the past, and collectively enjoy the Blessings of the Lord.

Under that canopy, mighty revelations were received, mighty healings took place, and lives were profoundly changed. In fact, under the banner of Love, Bro. Reg Layzell, Pastor of the Vancouver, BC. center received light on the Oneness of God, and Baptism in the Name of Jesus. He, and the whole church (several hundred) were baptized again. A similar thing took place in Everett, WA. So much so, that the Pastor at Everett told me that he doubted that I had ever had the revelation-- I had never mentioned it to him. I assured him that, indeed, I did have it, but had determined to let the Holy Ghost reveal it to whom He would. I was busy trying to digest what the Lord was showing me at the time-- brand new things which would change the course of my life forever, but not increase my popularity in the Fellowship. I was, indeed, "Hearing a different drummer", but didn't know what to do with what I was hearing.

My wife, Pearl, and I began publishing some of those things in 1954, and soon were mailing them across the nation. Later, almost as suddenly as it began, the Lord caused us to cease the publications and we began intensive teaching in the little assembly we were serving at the time. We will never know just why the Lord drove us into obscurity at that time, but we know He had a purpose in doing it. He made it possible in 1992 for us to resume the writings which were interupted for several years.

Reg Layzell was the one responsible for teaching those of us in the Pacific Northwest the inestimable value of copious praise to the Lord in our services. We will always be grateful to him for that. I guess I should also have been grateful to him for disfellowshipping me later because he could not agree with some things I was teaching. Indirectly, it was a great benefit to me, for it made me re-prove to myself that I was, indeed, hearing the voice of the Spirit.

Others brought us the message of "Worship", which has had a much harder time becoming established than the message of "Praise" did. That is due, partly, to the human reluctance to expend what is necessary for us to be exercised in true worship. People still do not grasp the vast difference that exists between the factors of "praise" and "worship". They are BOTH necessary, but they are vastly different, and produce different results in the assembly and in the lives of the individuals. But, that is another topic altogether.

The LATTER RAIN movement served as a springboard for other facets of what has developed through the years. The FGBMFI spearheaded the CHARISMATIC RENEWAL movement which made its way into Notre Dame and othe large universities. It caused the knowledge of the Baptism of the Holy Ghost to be spread far and wide. It is traveling like wildfire in Third World countries-- people receiving the Holy Ghost at approximately one every minute of every day of each week of every year (1997).

"Who hath despised the day of small things? Zec 4:10_

No comments: