Thursday, May 31, 2007

CHANGED INTO THE SAME IMAGE

CHANGED INTO THE SAME IMAGE

II Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord [is], there [is] liberty. But we all, with OPEN FACE beholding as IN A GLASS the GLORY of the Lord, are CHANGED into the SAME IMAGE from GLORY to GLORY, [even] as BY THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD.

I heard something a few evenings ago that "hit like a ton of bricks".

I have been ministering about the Lord wanting us to become OVERCOMERS after we have made our peace with Him. This is a facet of the Christian life that has been, I fear, terribly neglected by Christians in general.

But, as I analyzed the verses, I discovered that there is a secret contained in them, which, if put into practice, will produce outstanding results in our quest for the likeness of Jesus in our lives.

FIRST: The term "OPEN FACE" comes from a word which means "no covering" or "unveiled". Our modern vernacular would be "what you see is what you get"-- we have nothing to hide-- we have no subterfuge, no reservations. This is the BEST way to deal with any person or thing we come in contact with. It is the ONLY way to deal with God. Other humans might have to guess at our true motives, but GOD KNOWS THEM ALREADY.

NEXT: "BEHOLDING AS IN A GLASS"-- speaks to us of the comparison which can be drawn between HIS HOLINESS and our lack of it. Looking at the GLORY OF THE LORD tells us something about ourselves-- IMMEDIATELY.

Many folks are tempted to give up in despair when they make the comparison between the face of Jesus and themselves. But, here in the Word is the solution, and immensely heartening hope for each of us.

We CAN become more like Jesus-- in every aspect of our lives. And the process is a relatively simple one-- "BEHOLDING... THE GLORY OF GOD."

What does it mean-- to BEHOLD THE GLORY OF GOD? I can not give a testimony for you, but I know what it means to me. The Christian community has, for the most part, lost the art of WORSHIP to God. We PRAISE HIM in various ways, but praise can NEVER take the place of real heart-felt worship.

David had discovered the formula about a thousand years before Jesus was born. AND IT CHANGED DAVID'S LIFE, just like it will change ours today, if we will do it.

Psalms 27:4 One [thing] have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in His temple.

I Chronicles 29:3 Moreover, because I have set my affection to the house of my God, ----

Third: We are CHANGED into the SAME IMAGE--, from Glory to Glory-- a process that involves TIME and CONCENTRATION. The word "changed" comes from "Metamorphoo", which is the process by which a caterpillar is transformed into a butterfly. The real meaning is to be transfigured, or transformed.

Fourth: EVEN AS BY THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD. Friend, this is the WORK OF GOD. It can not be accomplished by human efforts. Resolutions are futile. Good intentions fall flat. Education is totally inadequate. Our most noble efforts are exercises in futility.


Spending QUALITY TIME with the Lord (not necessarily FOR the Lord) seems, to me, to be the master key which can make it all happen in our lives.

No comments: