Thursday, August 24, 2006

IN HIM WAS LIFE

IN HIM WAS LIFE
Jn 1:4

Something hit me “like a ton of bricks” a few days ago. I would like to share it with you.

An “in depth” study of the first chapter of John started me down a “rabbit path” of investigation, and I haven’t reached the end of it yet.

My Bible program told me that the word for “life” used here is NOT referring to the PHYSICAL life of humans or other animals, (Psuche), but rather the life of the SPIRIT, (Zoe).

I had known that, from previous studies, so it didn’t shake the earth too violently. But a study of the “ZOE” word in the Scriptures led me to something that shook me up quite a bit.. I will import it with the Greek numbers included, plus emphases from me.

Joh 5:25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live (ZAO).
Joh 5:26 For as the Father hath life (ZOE) in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life (Zoe) in himself;
Joh 5:27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.
Joh 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
Joh 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life (ZOE); and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Verse 25 is, undoubtedly, written about the FIRST RESURRECTION, while verse 28 is very likely referring to the GENERAL RESURRECTION. I had no problem there.

But verse 26 was one of those that “STOOD OUT ON THE PAPER” as the saying goes. I had read it many, many times, but never had I seen what it was trying to tell me this time.

Here is how it happened: The Father hath LIFE (Zoe) in Himself. That means He is “SELF-EXISTENT”. Still no problem, for we have known that all along.

What shook me this time is the statement that “so hath He GIVEN to the SON to have LIFE IN HIMSELF. (to be SELF-EXISTENT) “In Him was LIFE.” Jn 1:4

Now, Some of my friends have believed for a long time that Jesus was “God in the womb, God in the manger, and God in the carpenter shop.”

I don’t. Never have. Never will.

My friends always stop short of saying He was God on the Cross, for that would put their foot into the swamp, but good.

To the best of my understanding, Jesus was born the Son of God. He was the Son of God in the Carpenter shop.

The Son of God went into the waters of Jordan and was baptized by John when it was time for Him to enter into His Messianic Ministry. It was at this time that a mighty event, which many have overlooked, took place.

Luk 3:21 Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened,
Luk 3:22 And the HOLY GHOST DESCENDED IN A BODILY SHAPE LIKE A DOVE UPON HIM, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

Mat 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the HEAVENS WERE OPENED UNTO HIM, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
Mat 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

AH! The OPENED HEAVENS! Originally, I thought of this as being a small passage-way for the “dove” to come through. Lately I have come to realize it as something ENTIRELY DIFFERENT. Let me explain.

Jesus was baptized as He became thirty years of age. That was considered the age of accountability or adulthood in those days. It was at that age that a son should be “ADOPTED” by his father, and taken in to full PARTNERSHIP IN THE FAMILY BUSINESS. In this case, it would have been the Carpenter shop.

But, JOSEPH WAS NOT THE FATHER OF JESUS!!!!

JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD!!!

So, in accord with the custom, God stepped up to the plate and LAID CLAIM TO JESUS.

He ANOINTED (COMMISSIONED) JESUS WHEN HE WAS BAPTIZED BY JOHN.

It was at that time that God “GAVE” to Jesus THE “SELF-EXISTENT” quality. (Life within Himself”. Jesus was now a FULL PARTNER in the business of REDEEMING mankind from the fall of Adam. Jesus now had FULL ACCESS to what IS GOING ON IN THE HEAVENLY REALM. (The Opened Heavens)

Jesus was STILL the Son of God while doing His Ministry. He was still completely mortal, but he had access to the Heavenly realm in addition to the realm of earth.

Act 10:36 The word (Logos) which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)
Act 10:37 That word (Rhema), I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;
Act 10:38 HOW GOD ANOINTED JESUS OF NAZARETH with the Holy Ghost and with power (Dunamis) : who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

That “ANOINTING” consisted of an impartation of a “measureless” portion of the Spirit that spoke the worlds into existence.

Joh 3:34 For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words (Rhema) of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.

As a “SELF-EXISTENT ONE”, Jesus was then able to say things that no other man had ever been able to say.

Joh 2:18 Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign showest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?
Joh 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
Joh 2:20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
Joh 2:21 But he spake of the temple of his body.
Joh 2:22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the Scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

Joh 10:15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

Joh 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
Joh 10:18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

But the story doesn’t stop here!

Joh 5:27 And2532 HATH GIVEN1325 HIM846 AUTHORITY1849 TO EXECUTE4160 JUDGMENT2920 ALSO,2532 BECAUSE3754 HE IS2076 THE SON5207 OF MAN.

The ANOINTING OF JESUS included the AUTHORITY (Exousia) to execute Judgment.

Heb 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, HE ALSO HIMSELF LIKEWISE TOOK PART OF THE SAME; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
Heb 2:15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
Heb 2:16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
Heb 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behooved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a MERCIFUL AND FAITHFUL high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
Heb 2:18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is ABLE TO SUCCOR them that are tempted.

Heb 4:15 For we have not a high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; BUT WAS IN ALL POINTS TEMPTED LIKE AS WE ARE, yet without sin.

Joh 2:24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,
Joh 2:25 And needed not that any should testify of man: FOR HE KNEW WHAT WAS IN MAN.

We can be glad that Jesus was given authority to sit in judgment of humanity, for it was His humanity that was given that authority. He KNOWS us, better than we know ourselves. He walked among us, and is familiar with our problems. He experienced the problems we face. He can and will be Merciful, Righteous and Just. We can depend on that.

No comments: