Sunday, September 09, 2007

KEEP THY HEART

KEEP THY HEART

The wisest man who ever lived wrote some things about our responsibility to ourselves.

Proverbs 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it [are] the issues of life.

God has not obligated Himself to maintain the condition of our inner being.

Just as He started the fire on the Brazen Altar in the wilderness, and commanded that the people keep it going (He commanded that it should never be allowed to go out, even though it was eternal fire).

The life of Solomon points up the fact that we can, by neglect and dis-use, dissipate and diminish that which was given to us by the Lord Himself. Solomon also BECAME one of the greatest fools the world has ever produced. It is a solemn warning to us, lest we fall into the same trap.

Proverbs 3:1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:

Proverbs 4:21 Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.

The story is told of a man who was having problems with his mind. He went to see the Doctor about his problem. The Dr. asked him if he was bothered with improper thoughts. His answer revealed the root of his problem. He said, "To tell you the truth, Doc, I rather enjoy them."

Another story is told of an older man who was heard to pray at the altar, "Lord, sweep away all the cob webs." A Godly woman who heard him praying that way, said to the Lord, "Tell him to kill the spider."

Sometimes we tend to get discouraged with our progress in the Holiness of God. We have been schooled to expect a miracle to happen in an instant (give me patience, and do it right now).

But, Moses, in his famous song, gives us a clue to how the Lord works in our lives as we seek His Face. If we can grasp the truth, it will give us courage in our seeking.

Deuteronomy 32:2 My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:

Our safest approach to God is that of David in his time of pleading with the Lord for forgiveness of his terrible sin.

Psalms 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me [with thy] free spirit.

It may not happen over night, but God WILL HONOR such a prayer from our hearts. Take courage.

No comments: