Wednesday, October 18, 2006

THROUGH THE SPIRIT

THROUGH THE SPIRIT
Romans 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
What does it mean to walk after the flesh, or after the Spirit? How are we to know the difference? Can we, through ignorance, be mistaken about which one we are following?
It sounds like it is a matter of life or death. Perhaps we should take a good long look at the matter.
I don't claim to be an authority on the subject, but I have done a little bit of thinking about it. Let me run past you some of those thoughts.
I ran across a scripture years ago which seemed to make a little more sense out of what Paul is writing to the Romans here.
Philippians 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
I have underlined the phrase "I follow after" to emphasize what I am trying to say.
Here is what it means to me. A simple little illustration will let you know where I am coming from.
As a boy on the farm, I would lead an old horse out of the barn twice a day. I would lead him to the watering trough. He would follow me there, and follow me back, or anywhere else I chose to lead him. He followed my leadings. (Most of the time, that is). The horse walked after me.
Here it is again: Romans 8:1 [There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
And again: Romans 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Occasionally, we hear people sort of bragging about their accomplishments in God, as though they should be given some of the credit.
The only thing to our credit is that we have learned a little bit about how to follow the Spirit as it endeavours to lead us into a better life, the life of the Spirit.
There are many flesh-inspired rules of conduct, etc., that might give us a goal to aim at, but ONLY THE SPIRIT OF GOD CAN ACCOMPLISH holiness (separatedness) in our lives. No code of ethics will be sufficient, no matter how well intentioned it may be, nor how strictly we adhere to the rules.
Too many times we follow the rules very closely, while the heart is left untouched by the Spirit.
Fleshly strivings and efforts will do nothing but fail, and leave us stranded without the desired relationship with God.
It will take the POWER OF THE SPIRIT TO ACCOMPLISH HOLINESS IN US.
Fleshly efforts fall under the category of FLESH.
Romans 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
LET US FOLLOW AFTER THE SPIRIT.

No comments: