Tuesday, February 05, 2008

FOULED

FOULED OUT
Many years ago, when Marvin was in high
school, the family went with him to watch a foot
ball game at the ball park. The Grizzlies were
playing the Pirates, as I recall.
I am not given to outburst of enthusiasm,
but one team made a spectacular play, and one of
the boys was running about 70 yards for a
touchdown. I half stood and quietly said, "pour
it on, boy!". He was doing a magnificent job--
except for one thing which was being overlooked
by most everyone in the park.
One of the officials had thrown down his
white flag at the line of scrimmage, and was
waving his hands frantically. Some one of the
boys had done something wrong, (I don't remember
what--it doesn't matter) and the play was can-
celled at the spot of the white flag on the
ground. I was disappointed, and a little ashamed
for having urged the boy on.
As we sat back down, a scripture verse
came to me. II Timothy 2:5 And if a man also
strive for masteries, [yet] is he not crowned,
except he strive lawfully.
God has strange ways of getting at us. It
was impressed upon me that many times we "strive
for the masteries", and we go without a reward
for it. The rest of the game was ruined, for me,
wondering how many "White flags" there were
behind me, having been ignored as I rushed on in
my quest for excellence.
I Corinthians 9:24-- I therefore so
run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one
that beateth the air: But I keep under my body,
and bring [it] into subjection: lest that by any
means, when I have preached to others, I myself
should be a castaway.
Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against
flesh and blood,--

No comments: