Tuesday, June 08, 2010

MYSISTERMYSPOUSE

MY SISTER, MY SPOUSE

Four times in the Song, Solomon refers to his Beloved as "My Sister, My Spouse."

Most of us know that in Bible times, an "Engagement" was as binding as the "Wedding", and couples were often spoken of as being a spouse before they came together as husband and wife.

Song of Solomon 4:9 Thou hast ravished my heart, my sister, [my] spouse; thou hast ravished my heart with one of thine eyes, with one chain of thy neck.

Song of Solomon 4:10 How fair is thy love, my sister, [my] spouse! how much better is thy love than wine! and the smell of thine ointments than all spices!

Song of Solomon 4:12 A garden enclosed [is] my sister, [my] spouse; a spring shut up, a fountain sealed.

Song of Solomon 5:1 I am come into my garden, my sister, [my] spouse: I have gathered my myrrh with my spice; I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey; I have drunk my wine with my milk: eat, O friends; drink, yea, drink abundantly, O beloved.

In our modern "rush-a-day" world, we might have a tendency to forget some important principles of the marriage relationship.

While we were serving as Pastors (and we did for over 30 years) we had ample opportunity to observe differences in the way spouses treated one another while in the Church house-- compared to how they did after they left and went their way. Often times there was a BIG difference.

To combat the trend, I would often use an illustration, and tell the folks that my wife, whom I called "Sister" while in public, was NO LESS my "sister" when we got safely within our four walls.

Too many times, when the door is locked for the night, a man becomes a brute beast, or a woman becomes a shrew, and a battle is joined. Often, the children become the confused audience. "These things ought not so to be."

Sometimes, in times of stress, we tend to lose sight of the fact that God's Word has something to say about the most sacred relationship we humans can have.
Colossians 3:19 Husbands, love [your] wives, and be not bitter against them.

I Peter 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with [them] according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

No comments: