Saturday, March 22, 2008

ABRAHAM-- DAVID

EMMANUEL MINISTRIES
902 So. 11TH AVE YAKIMA, WA. 98902
MARCH 2008 (509)-453-9623 fretwell@aol.com




ABRAHAM AND DAVID


Two outstanding men in Biblical history met with special favor from the Lord.

Abraham was one, and David was the other. I don’t mean to infer that they were the ONLY TWO to find favor with the Lord, but they each did, and as a result have a special place in Biblical history, and prophecy.

In Matthew 1:1 they are both named as being the “father” of Jesus.
“The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.”

A closer look at the Scriptures reveals that they are mentioned together in other places also.

Fact is, they BOTH walked with God in the realm of FAITH, which pleases Him.

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

I want to stress the fact right here that NEITHER OF THESE MEN was without the flaws which we humans are subject to. They were NOT SUPER MEN, in any sense of the word. THEY SIMPLY BELIEVED THAT GOD WOULD DO WHAT HE SAID HE WOULD DO. They TRUSTED GOD.

I want to highlight some aspects of the life of David today. I might not get them in chronological order, but that is not the important item right now.

We all know about David killing the lion and the bear, and then Goliath the giant, so we won’t say much about that. And, yes, we also know about Bathsheba, and the son, Solomon. We also know about David cutting off the skirt of Saul’s garment when he had a chance to kill him. He wouldn’t do harm to the Anointed of the Lord. (such reverence)

An interesting thing, that relatively few people know about, happened in the life of David at the height of his success as King. Listen.

2Sa 7:1 And it came to pass, when the king sat in his house, and the LORD had given him rest round about from all his enemies;
2Sa 7:2 That the king said unto Nathan the prophet, See now, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of God dwelleth within curtains.
2Sa 7:3 And Nathan said to the king, Go, do all that is in thine heart; for the LORD is with thee.
2Sa 7:4 And it came to pass that night, that the word of the LORD came unto Nathan, saying,
2Sa 7:5 Go and tell my servant David, Thus saith the LORD, Shalt thou build me a house for me to dwell in?
2Sa 7:6 Whereas I have not dwelt in any house since the time that I brought up the children of Israel out of Egypt, even to this day, but have walked in a tent and in a tabernacle.
2Sa 7:7 In all the places wherein I have walked with all the children of Israel spoke I a word with any of the tribes of Israel, whom I commanded to feed my people Israel, saying, Why build ye not me a house of cedar?
2Sa 7:8 Now therefore so shalt thou say unto my servant David, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I took thee from the sheepcote, from following the sheep, to be ruler over my people, over Israel:
2Sa 7:9 And I was with thee whithersoever thou wentest, and have cut off all thine enemies out of thy sight, and have made thee a great name, like unto the name of the great men that are in the earth.
2Sa 7:10 Moreover I will APPOINT A PLACE for my people Israel, and will PLANT THEM, that they may dwell in a place of their own, and move no more; neither shall the children of wickedness afflict them any more, as formerly,
2Sa 7:11 And as since the time that I commanded judges to be over my people Israel, and have caused thee to rest from all thine enemies. Also the LORD telleth thee that HE WILL MAKE THEE A HOUSE.
2Sa 7:12 And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed (JESUS) after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom.
2Sa 7:13 He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. (emphasis added)

Another man wrote a Psalm about David, in which a prophecy was given of the eventual end of the NATURAL DYNASTY of David, but that the SPIRITUAL DYNASTY would continue to all succeeding generations. Many folks do not know about the TWO DYNASTIES—the natural AND THE SPIRITUAL.

Psa 89:1 Maschil of Ethan the Ezrahite. I will sing of the mercies of the LORD forever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations.
Psa 89:2 For I have said, Mercy shall be built up forever: thy faithfulness shalt thou establish in the very heavens.
Psa 89:3 I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant,
Psa 89:4 THY SEED WILL I ESTABLISH FOREVER (JESUS, the Spiritual Dynasty) and build up thy throne to all generations. Selah.
Psa 89:5 And the heavens shall praise thy wonders, O LORD: thy faithfulness also in the congregation of the saints.
Psa 89:6 For who in the heaven can be compared unto the LORD? who among the sons of the mighty can be likened unto the LORD?
Psa 89:7 God is greatly to be feared in the assembly of the saints, and to be had in reverence of all them that are about him.
Psa 89:8 O LORD God of hosts, who is a strong LORD like unto thee? or to thy faithfulness round about thee?
Psa 89:9 Thou rulest the raging of the sea: when the waves thereof arise, thou stillest them.
Psa 89:10 Thou hast broken Rahab in pieces, as one that is slain; thou hast scattered thine enemies with thy strong arm.
Psa 89:11 The heavens are thine, the earth also is thine: as for the world and the fullness thereof, thou hast founded them.
Psa 89:12 The north and the south thou hast created them: Tabor and Hermon shall rejoice in thy name.
Psa 89:13 Thou hast a mighty arm: strong is thy hand, and high is thy right hand.
Psa 89:14 Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face (Jesus).
Psa 89:15 Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound: they shall walk, O LORD, in the light of thy countenance.
Psa 89:16 In thy name shall they rejoice all the day: and in thy righteousness shall they be exalted (Jesus).
Psa 89:17 For thou art the glory of their strength: and in thy favor our horn shall be exalted.
Psa 89:18 For the LORD is our defense; and the Holy One of Israel is our king.
Psa 89:19 Then thou spakest in vision to thy holy one, and saidst, I have laid help upon one that is mighty; I have exalted one chosen out of the people.
Psa 89:20 I HAVE FOUND DAVID MY SERVANT; WITH MY HOLY OIL HAVE I ANOINTED HIM:
Psa 89:21 With whom my hand shall be established: mine arm also shall strengthen him.
Psa 89:22 The enemy shall not exact upon him; nor the son of wickedness afflict him.
Psa 89:23 And I will BEAT DOWN HIS FOES BEFORE HIS FACE, and PLAGUE THEM that hate him.
Psa 89:24 But my FAITHFULNESS and my MERCY shall be with him: and in my name shall his horn be exalted.
Psa 89:25 I will set his hand also in the sea, and his right hand in the rivers.
Psa 89:26 He shall cry unto me, Thou art my father, my God, and the rock of my salvation.
Psa 89:27 ALSO I WILL MAKE HIM MY FIRSTBORN, higher than the kings of the earth.
Psa 89:28 MY MERCY will I keep for him forevermore, and MY COVENANT SHALL STAND FAST WITH HIM.
Psa 89:29 His seed also will I make to endure forever, and his throne as the days of heaven.
Psa 89:30 If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments;
Psa 89:31 If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments;
Psa 89:32 Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.
Psa 89:33 Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail.
Psa 89:34 MY COVENANT WILL I NOT BREAK, NOR ALTER THE THING THAT IS GONE out of my lips.
Psa 89:35 Once have I sworn by my holiness that I WILL NOT LIE UNTO DAVID.
Psa 89:36 HIS SEED SHALL ENDURE FOREVER, and his THRONE AS THE SUN before me.
Psa 89:37 IT SHALL BE ESTABLISHED FOREVER as the moon, and as a faithful witness in heaven. Selah.

Then follows the prophecy of the eventual desolation of the NATURAL City of David, and the kingdom of Judah which he had ruled over. I won’t labor that subject here. You can finish the Psalm from your Bible.

David wrote a prophetic Psalm, in which he extolled the virtues of the SPIRITUAL DYNASTY AND THE TRUE “CITY OF GOD”—JERUSALEM (the CHURCH)

Psa 122:1 A Song of degrees of David. I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.
Psa 122:2 Our feet shall stand within thy gates, O Jerusalem.
Psa 122:3 Jerusalem is built as a city that is compact together:
Psa 122:4 Whither the tribes go up, the tribes of the LORD, unto the testimony of Israel, to give thanks unto the name of the LORD.
Psa 122:5 For there are set thrones of judgment, the thrones of the house of David.
Psa 122:6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem (THE CHURCH): they shall prosper that love thee.
Psa 122:7 Peace be within thy walls, and prosperity within thy palaces.
Psa 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within thee.
Psa 122:9 Because of the house of the LORD our God I will seek thy good.

Another fact that many folks do not know is that when two of the outstanding Messianic Prophesies were given, they were TO THE SPIRITUAL HOUSE (DYNASTY) OF DAVID.

NUMBER ONE:

Isa 7:12 But Ahaz said, I will not ask, neither will I tempt the LORD.
Isa 7:13 And he said, Hear ye now, O HOUSE OF DAVID; Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will ye weary my God also?
Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
Isa 7:15 Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.
Isa 7:16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.

NUMBER TWO:

Isa 9:1 Nevertheless the dimness shall not be such as was in her vexation, when at the first he lightly afflicted the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, and afterward did more grievously afflict her by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, in Galilee of the nations.
Isa 9:2 The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.
Isa 9:3 Thou hast multiplied the nation, and not increased the joy: they joy before thee according to the joy in harvest, and as men rejoice when they divide the spoil.
Isa 9:4 For thou hast broken the yoke of his burden, and the staff of his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, as in the day of Midian.
Isa 9:5 For every battle of the warrior is with confused noise, and garments rolled in blood; but this shall be with burning and fuel of fire.
Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Isa 9:7 OF THE INCREASE OF HIS GOVERNMENT AND PEACE THERE SHALL BE NO END, UPON THE THRONE OF DAVID, AND UPON HIS KINGDOM, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even forever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

Luk 1:26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,
Luk 1:27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, OF THE HOUSE OF DAVID; and the virgin's name was Mary.
Luk 1:28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favored, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.

Luk 1:68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,
Luk 1:69 And hath raised up a horn of salvation for us in the HOUSE OF HIS SERVANT DAVID;
Luk 1:70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began:
Luk 1:71 That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us;
Luk 1:72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant;
Luk 1:73 The oath which he swore to our father Abraham,
Luk 1:74 That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear,
Luk 1:75 In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life.

Luk 2:4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; because (HE WAS OF THE HOUSE AND LINEAGE OF DAVID:)
Luk 2:5 To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.
Luk 2:6 And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.

There are also references to the KEY OF DAVID, and to the SURE MERCIES OF DAVID. These are indicating the SPIRITUAL HOUSE OF DAVID

Isa 22:20 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will call my servant Eliakim the son of Hilkiah:
Isa 22:21 And I will clothe him with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, and I will commit thy government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah.
Isa 22:22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.

Rev 3:7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath THE KEY OF DAVID, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;


Isa 55:3 Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, EVEN THE SURE MERCIES OF DAVID.

Act 13:34 And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I WILL GIVE YOU THE SURE MERCIES OF DAVID.

THE NATURAL DYNASTY OF DAVID WAS TO BECOME DESOLATE.

Jer 22:5 But if ye will not hear these words, I swear by myself, saith the LORD, that this house shall become a desolation.
Jer 22:6 For thus saith the LORD unto the king's house of Judah; Thou art Gilead unto me, and the head of Lebanon: yet surely I will make thee a wilderness, and cities which are not inhabited.
Mat 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
Mat 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

Luk 13:35 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Gen 49:10 The scepter shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, UNTIL SHILOH COME; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.

BUT IT WOULD DEPART WHEN SHILOH CAME. It DID.

Jer 22:7 And I will prepare destroyers against thee, every one with his weapons: and they shall cut down thy choice cedars, and cast them into the fire.
Jer 22:8 And many nations shall pass by this city, and they shall say every man to his neighbor, Wherefore hath the LORD done thus unto this great city?
Jer 22:9 Then they shall answer, Because they have forsaken the covenant of the LORD their God, and worshiped other gods, and served them.

Another scripture, not much understood, is talking about the CHURCH, which is also called Jerusalem.

Zec 12:9 And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem.
Zec 12:10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

Zec 13:1 In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the (Spiritual) house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem (The Church) for sin and for uncleanness.

No comments: