Sunday, October 28, 2007

THE PUBLICAN

THE PUBLICAN

Jesus told a story one time to illustrate how our attitude of approach to God affects the response we receive from Him.

The story He told was that of the Pharisee and the Publican. The one recited to God all of his goodnesses--, the other smote his breast and called on God for mercy.

Jesus said that the Publican went to his house JUSTIFIED. The simple act of calling on God for mercy had changed the destiny of his soul.

This morning, as every other morning, in prayer, I was asking God to have mercy on EVERY ONE of our posterity. Specifically, I was asking Him to guide, protect, direct, and give health to each one.

Suddenly, it dawned on me that if the Lord can form chains of circumstances around the people we are praying for, and cause them to do what He sees to be best for them, He can also affect the destiny of their souls in much the same way.

I have often been guilty of asking God to cause people to do WHAT I THOUGHT WOULD BE GOOD, but not any more. Some time ago, I was made to know that praying that way can actually be detrimental to those I love.

My understanding of the Will of God is SO FAULTY that I dare not rely on it. But God suffers no such frailties. He knows the end of all things from the beginning. He knows where each course of action will lead. He knows that if left to our own ability to guide ourselves, we will end up in a "swamp."

I believe that the safest way to intercede for our loved ones is to call on God for His mercy to each one.

An old saint in the last church we served said, "God always gives HIS BEST to those who leave the choice to Him."

We can SAFELY intercede for others by calling of God for His Mercy to be extended to them. In this way, we can be assured of them receiving what God deems to be best for them.

No comments: